May 26, 2010

Corn Muffins

I'm an egg snob. Proof: I paid $4.49 for a dozen eggs this week. They were from free-range chickens (which IS different than cage free) and had not been fed anything with hormones, etc.
But just because I'm an egg snob does not mean I'm stupid. I still use cheap eggs for cooking...because I am poor. Expensive eggs taste better. Promise.
Today I wanted to make cornbread, but we only had the uber expensive eggs so...I searched the nets for an eggless cornbread recipe and came upon THIS little gem.


It's from a booklet called Foods That Will Win The War 1918

In case the link doesn't work, here's the recipe.

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup milk
1/2 cup bread flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3 Tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons fat (I used oil)

A word of warning, this was WAY too much salt. But (close your eyes Southern Readers) I like sweet corn bread. Yum. I'm going to try them again, but next time I will halve the salt.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Diane Arnett Gardiner said...

I'm totally going to have to try this! Thanks for your note...SUCKS is right. Miss you...as a side note a member of the Bishopric is coming by tonight to talk to me. The new one over music...could it be? Dare I hope? I don't even wan to utter the fateful "r" word in case it jinxes it all.

Becky said...

Well Di,
How long do I have to stay in suspense???