Jan 29, 2011

Cleaning Troubles?

Have you ever looked at your list of things to do, and thought, oh my. There's NO way I can get all of this done."

I've had that happen repeatedly lately. Like, every day.

So I was talking to my friend, Sandy, about my lack of motivation or whatever it was that was holding me back and SHE gives me the following idea, which totally WORKED!!

  1. Make a list (Stay with me, this is going somewhere)
  2. Cut the list into strips, with one job per strip of paper
  3. Fold it in half at place the strips in an empty cup
  4. Have one of your kids pull out a strip
  5. Do what it says (this is the tricky part)
  6. When you're done with the job on the paper, put it in another cup so at the end of the day, you can see how much stuff you did!
It's totally a GAME!
Who doesn't love games?

Thursday was the first day I tried this. Here's what was on my list:
  • sweep
  • mop
  • vacuum
  • load of laundry
  • another load of laundry
  • dishes
  • make chia pudding
  • shower and dress everyone
  • physical therapy
  • dinner prep
  • make the beds
  • read books to kids

I was done by 10:30. That would be 10:30 AM. Like, before lunch. The Boy just kept handing me pieces of paper and I kept doing what they said because he wanted to help and was so excited. A list like that would normally take me TWO DAYS. (I know, what a lazy mom!)
I got so much accomplished I didn't have anything to do Friday, so we went to the park and played. It was a little disconcerting to not have SOMETHING that needed doing.
Sandy puts strips of paper in that say things like do 25 pushups and play with kids.  I tried that with my list today, and we all got a few pushups and some laughs in. Have you ever watched a 3 year old attempt pushups? It's hillarious.

I'm not saying this method will work for everyone, or that it will work every day, but if you're lacking motivation sometime, I encourage you to give it a try. There's no reason I can think of that work CAN'T be fun.

No comments: