Mar 28, 2011

Lemon Berry Cupcakes

A super yummy treat I invented out of necessity. (It's what I had on hand and could do in the time I had to bake.)
Sorry I don't have a picture of the middle. 
I was busy holding a newborn and The Hubs was standing in as cellphone camera operator. 

One box strawberry cake, prepared as per box instructions Stay with me. Y'all know I do not ever start a recipe with boxed anything, much less keep boxed cake mix on hand, but I had this left over from another project and was in a time crunch. These turned out so delicious I had to share!

Add the zest from one lemon
Small dollop of heavy cream or larger dollop of whipped cream
1-2 Tsp fresh lemon juice (judge it based on how thin your batter is getting)

Bake in lined muffin tins as instructed.

Frosting

1 stick butter
1 stick margarine (again, not a normal ingredient for me, but I'm broke this week!)
beat the living tar out of the butter/marg. until it's nice and fluffy the add:
3 1/2 cups non-sifted (or 4 cups sifted) powdered sugar (it's a pound of powdered sugar)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice
zest from one lemon, finely grated
dollop of cream to smooth it out a bit if it's a tad grainy
Then fold in 1/4 cup blueberry puree. 
I did not know this, but blueberries totally gel. 
Frost cakes and top with a blackberry. 
When I made these, I added the blueberry before I knew the frosting was grainy, so the blueberries were more incorporated than I would have wished due to the extra mixing. 
I hope your family likes them as much as mine did. 

No comments: