Mar 12, 2011

The Secret Ingredient

Lately The Boy has been very interested nay, obsessed, with cooking. Any time I start a meal, he's right by my side, standing on a 5 gallon bucket eager to "help".  Mostly I welcome this chance to teach my son. I even let him stir hot things on the stove. (Really, don't call CPS. He's very careful and coordinated. I'd never let my other child stir hot things. She won't be allowed near a stove until she's 37.) My encouraging his budding cooking skills very nearly backfired tonight.

You see, I had some taco meat simmering on the stove. The Boy had helped me thus far with the adding of various things to the pan and the stirring thereof.
He lost interest and wondered off and so I left the pan unattended for a few minutes. I'm sure you can see where this is headed.

The Boy came to find me. He informed me of the addition of "the very best gredient". I was understandably concerned. My four year old had just used the word ingredient. Also, he'd added one to my perfect taco meat. Further questioning was required.
     "What kind of ingredient?"
           "Well, it's a SECRET!  And it's all stirred in." (ack)
     "OK. but I still need to know what it is. Can you tell me?"
           "No. I don't know the name of it."
     "Can you show me?"
          "Well....OK." (The Boy, looking dejected)
We then walked hand-in-hand to the kitchen where The Boy opened to the spice drawer. This might be a good time to point out another event I've been encouraging: The smelling of spices. Always under direct supervision, of course. Until now, apparently.
He reached in, and much to my (and The Hubs) relief, he pulled out garlic powder.
Dinner was not ruined, after all. It was a tad garlic-y, though.
Please excuse me while I check into the possibility of legally changing his name to Emeril.

No comments: