Nov 1, 2010

I think I'm Missing Something

I just read this article about the recent salmonella outbreak from egg farms in Iowa.
The article calls for stricter state regulation on egg farms but the guy in charge of state agriculture says the Federal Government should impose more strict regulation on all egg farms everywhere.

Those of you who know me, know I'm a strong supporter of state's rights, but you know what I'm an even bigger fan of? Common sense.

People, if you know where your food comes from, if you trust the people who produce it, is it even a state issue? No, it's not.

That being said, not everybody has a farm up the street from which they can get eggs, or room for a couple chickens at their own homes, so the next question I have is why people aren't demanding the egg farms do something about this. Why is it the federal or even the state government's job to keep us safe?
What are we? Five? 
No. Most people who buy eggs are responsible adults who manage to take care of ourselves the majority of the time. What's the real deal, then?

Oh, I know. We've been trained to expect the state/federal government to let the state take care of us. State funded education. State funded welfare, state funded public roads and transportation, state funded healthcare, state funded food and drug regulations and state funded business regulations.

Am I alone in thinking this is a BAD thing?

No comments: