Feb 10, 2011

Raw Wild Rice Salad

When I first read the recipe for raw Wild Rice Salad this is what my brain said, that's barmy!" 
My brain has evidently been watching lots of British television. 
Then, because I was desperately hungry and had five days in which to soak rice, I tried it. 
Now this recipe is a staple and I make it twice a month or so. 
The original recipe comes from Rose Lee Calabro, courtesy of The Complete Book of Raw Food. Frankly, this cookbook only occasionally proffers edible food, but this is one recipe that is worth it.

Advanced Prep Time: 5 Days to sprout the rice
Active Prep Time: 15-20 min

Makes 2-4 servings

Soak 1 1/2 cups wild rice for five days, changing the water twice a day. I soak it in a Mason jar next to the sink, so I can remember to change the water. Do not, under any circumstance, use a wild rice BLEND. The other types of rice are so crunchy you wouldn't be able to make it through the meal without breaking a tooth, or scratching your larynx. (lar-EEnx, not lar-nix, you're welcome, Dr Boling).

After you've waited around for 5 days, pretty much dying of hunger, rinse your rice one last time and put it in a bowl. Now we're talking!

1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
1/4 red onion, minced
1 carrot, shredded
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1/4 cup raw corn
1 tomato, diced
2 Tbls fresh parsley or 2 tsp dried
4 Tlbs cold pressed olive oil
2 Tbls lemon juice
1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt. I don't know why regular sea salt won't work. Apparently the Celtic kind is magically delicious. 
Sorry about the picture quality. I think something is wrong with my camera.
I mean, other than the person operating it, that is.

Combine all ingredients. I like to let it sit so the flavors can mix a bit. But it's nice straight away as well. 
Also, it's tons better if, right before you eat it, a nicely sliced avocado is added to your bowl. But then, aren't most things better with avocado? Just the other day I saw avocado ice cream. Yes. Really. 

No comments: