May 6, 2011

Movie Reviews: The King's Speech

The King's Speech
I saw the PG-13 version in which some F bombs were omitted. 
I saw this movie without The Hubs, because he categorically refused to see it with me. His loss, because this movie was AWESOME.
 I love Colin Firth. Not only is he an excellent actor, but because hello, I have two X chromosomes and he's a fine representation of the male specimen. <fans self> This movie ALSO had Jennifer Ehle, and if I could have changed one thing in the movie, it would be to have Jennifer play the Queen opposite Collin, instead of the wife of the speech therapist. There's no such thing as too much Jennifer Ehle in any movie. (WHY she hasn't been in much I can stand to watch since Pride and Prejudice I'll never know, but for your own Sanity, never rent Chamomile Lawn. I turned it off 10 minutes in.)
 
(see? even the stars use Glamor Shots)
This movie instantly connected you to it's characters, was solid in all it's acting and dialog, had plenty of moments in which to laugh if you're paying attention, and gave a supremely uplifting message: if you try hard enough, you can overcome most anything. 
Bottom Line: If you don't care about ratings or can find it in PG-13, it's worth owning, and not just because Collin's in it. I would put it in my collection next to Sea Biscuit. 


No comments: