Nov 19, 2010

Whole Wheat Oatmeal cake

I love oatmeal cake. In fact, I've never met one I haven't instantly inhaled half of liked.
Being as how this is Cleanse Week for me, and the fact that I'm insanely addicted to Oatmeal Cake, I'll just be sharing the recipe today. Making the cake to take pictures would be abject torture for me, and frankly, I love me more than I love you. :)

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Cake from Make a Treat With Wheat  written and compiled by Hazel Richards. Copyright in 1968, so she's probably dead now and won't mind, right?

1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1 cup chopped raisins
Mix and set aside to cool

1/2 cup shortening or oil (I use oil because it's quicker, or applesauce if the entire cake will be eaten that day)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 well beaten eggs
Cream together

1 1/2 cups sifted whole wheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
sift and add to creamed sugar mixture

ADD: soaked oatmeal and mix together. Bake in 9x13 pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or less, until done.

TOPPING:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 TB canned milk or cream
Boil 2 Minutes
Then add:
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Spread on hot cake and let cool. 
Mention that you burned the cake, so no one else will want to eat it. Then you can have it all to yourself. :)

No comments: